In the continued effort to keep you informed and prepared when it comes to wire fraud, we’ve compiled some useful practices you should employ to prevent this threat from affecting your business:
- Always verify wire instructions by phone before transferring money
- Use previously known contact information when possible
- Be hesitant to use “reply” emails and don’t blindly trust phone numbers that appear in an email signature
- Be extremely skeptical of emails that change wiring instructions or ask for a password.
- If you think money has been wired to a fraudster instead of your intended recipient, notify your bank, the FBI via ic3.gov and the police.
Remember, diligence and communication should be your first lines of defense against fraudsters.
For more information about risk awareness and how to keep your information safe, watch this important video.